CANADA - Minors Traveling to Canada Without Proof of Canadian Citizenship

  • Chile
  • 09/10/2009
  • Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP

On September 1, 2009, the Canadian government issued Operational Bulletin 154, which addresses how minors may be admitted into Canada if they do not yet have proof of Canadian citizenship. Effective immediately, facilitation visas may be issued to presumptive Canadians under the age of 18 who are coming to Canada to reside with their Canadian parent(s) or for humanitarian and compassionate reasons as determined by a visa officer.

The person must be unable to obtain a new, replacement or emergency Canadian passport in a sufficiently timely manner and the reason for travel must be urgent. The person may or may not be traveling with the Canadian parent. The person must also be in possession of a valid foreign national passport or travel document in order for the facilitation visa to be issued.

Evidence must also be presented to prove that at least one parent is Canadian, and the visa officer must be satisfied of the parent-child relationship (such evidence may include a Canadian passport, Canadian birth certificate, citizenship certificate, etc.).