New Regulations for Foreigners in Beijing Starting July 1, 2013

  • China
  • 04/02/2013
  • Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP

The new Exit-Entry Administration Law will change regulations for foreigners visiting, residing and working in China when it comes into effect on July 1, 2013. At a recent seminar, the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau provided insight into current interpretations of the law.
At this point, the new guidelines only apply in Beijing.

The law is currently being interpreted to indicate the following changes:
•Visitors who want to extend their stay will be able apply for extension at a local immigration authority at least seven days before the visa expires.
• Foreigners with residence permits wishing to extend their stays must file applications for renewal within 30 days of expiration.
• Unmarried and same-sex partners will be able to apply for dependent resident status. Necessary documents will include a cohabitation certificate, if the partners are not married, or a marriage certificate, if same-sex partners are married. Both certificates must be issued by authorities in the applicants’ home country.
• The processing time for residence permits will increase from five working days to 15 calendar days. •All visitors age 16 and older must carry their own passport and temporary residence form at all times in case of random inspection by the Public Security Bureau. If the documents are retained by the bureau, a receipt will be issued to the visitor.

The receipt should then be carried at all times. However, the receipt cannot be used in lieu of a passport in order to leave the country.
Practical guidelines for the new law are still under discussion. BAL will provide updates as more news becomes available.